On Friday 23 December 2005 07:57 am, Darren Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Kent Stewart wrote:
> > Use the location menu item on RealPlayer and add
> > http://66.246.59.69:8700
> >
> > You probably won't understand it but Xeoax, Oaxaca is the only
> > realaudio stream that I listen to.
>
> kmplayer and gmplayer handle it perfectly. Xine handles it but
> doesn't sound quite as good (lot of tinkering that can be done there
> though).
>
> Totem plays it but its only tolerable if you really like chipmunks.

Even mplayer will play it if you get past the message about
~/.mplayer/subfont.tttf.

If you can play it, the application works over the network. I have been
known to record the news from Oaxaca, México and burn a CD for friends
from there. It is a kind of poke in the ribs to get them on the
Internet. It hasn't worked yet but I keep trying :).

If realplayer won't work with firefox, the relationship between firefox
preferences > download actions and audio/x-pn-realaudio is screwed up.
You should be able to point the firefox file action to anything that
will play a realaudio file type. This is also true for mp3 file
actions.

Before I did any of this, I added links to nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt
in /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_linux_plugins
and /usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins

I don't know which one made the difference. I tweaked until I could see
the plugins in mozilla. I am also using the default libmap.conf for the
version [56]-stable.

At any rate, firefox-1.5_5,1 will play *.ram files on all of my systems
(with sound cards, speakers and either 5-stable or 6-stable) when I
visit websites with realaudio *.ram files. The only problem is that the
realaudio sites I listen to are folklóric sites from Columbia and
Venezuela. This includes winamp playlists using xmms.

I haven't made mozilla work but then I don't miss the capability
either :).

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

"Nunca te acostarás sin saber una cosa más"