OK, I had Samba working, upgraded to FreeBSD 6 (from 5.4) and mgetty
stopped working, so I had to reinstall FreeBSD 5.4 again.

Now I can't get Samba (smbd Version 2.2.12, via pkg_add) working and I
can't figure out what I did differently this time.

All my hosts are 192.168.x.x

My smb.conf is below.

I am trying to connect to the FreeBSD machine (hostname "compaq") from
a WinXP SP2 machine.  I have used 'smbpasswd' to add my WinXP
username.

When I try to access the machine via Windows Explorer, I get "The
account is not authoritzed to log in from this station"

When I use 'net view \\compaq' I get

"System error 5 has occurred

Access is denied
"

Googling around I found that I should add this
"   nt acl support = no"

which I did.  Didn't help.  Here is my smb.conf

[global]
   workgroup = PRESBY
   nt acl support = no
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   security = user
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writeable = no
   printable = yes

Other than that, please don't assume anything.  I'm no expert on samba.

I can FTP to the machine, but I would prefer Samba.

Thanks for any help!
TjL