Joe Auty wrote:
I've been considering buying another hard drive for my FreeBSD machine, and building a RAID with my current hard drive so that both drives are treated as one.

This is known as RAID-1 mirroring.

Do any of you have experience in this area? Is this advisable?

Yes and yes.  :-)

I'm assuming I'd be looking at creating a RAID-5?

Not with only two drives.
RAID-5 needs at least 3, and is wasteful unless you have 4-5.

Can this be done without reformatting my current drive?

You can set up mirroring without reformatting, but be sure you have good backups of your data regardless.

Does this setup work well?  Do you have any general advice for me? I need to
know if there is risk  involved here.

When choosing RAID levels, you are making a tradeoff between performance, reliability, and cost:

If you prefer...             ...consider using:
performance, reliability:    RAID-1 mirroring
performance, cost:           RAID-0 striping
reliability, performance:    RAID-1 mirroring (+ hot spare, if possible)
reliability, cost:           RAID-5 (+ hot spare)
cost, reliability:           RAID-5
cost, performance:           RAID-0 striping

If you've got enough drives, using RAID-10 or RAID-50 will also improve performance compared to stock RAID-1 or RAID-5 modes.

--
-Chuck