On 30 Dec 2005, at 18:20, Mark Kane wrote:

Thanks Mark
Im running KDE (3.4.3) and I have just gone into control center > sound
& multimedia > sound system
Here I disabled the sound system and reneabled it, which it restarted
the sound system. I then clicked the button to text sound.
Then I heard sound perfect. I then opened Noatun and tried to play an
mp3 but heard nothing. I dont know about artsd, but is this the KDE
sound system?

Yeah, the KDE sound system is artsd so that should be the correct area.

I tried the sound system disabled, restart Noatun but still nothing.
artsd at konsole says:
can't register Arts::MidiManager
There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are active...

Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running). If you are sure it is not already running, remove the relevant
files:

       /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SoundServerV2
       /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SoundServer
       /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
       /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
       /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_AudioManager

So, sound works if I test in control centre. But no sound if i try play
an mp3...
Thanks
Eoghan

I've never used Noatun so I'm not sure if it has options that you need
to change for sound. If you have KDE's sound system enabled, you'll be
using artsd. If you have it disabled, then the OSS in FreeBSD should
take over again. So in the options, I'm not sure if it will give you a
choice to use artsd output or OSS output, but change them accordingly.

Other thing to make sure is that the KDE mixer levels are up. The test
sound may work even with some levels of that mixer being down, so look
through the KDE menus relating to sound for the Sound Mixer. Then make
sure things like Volume, Speaker, etc are all up. Also try the "Input"
area of the mixer, since I figured out a long time ago that that's
really the "Input" into artsd and if those are down it will not give
sound either (that may have changed since I used it though).

HTH

-Mark

Thanks again
Ive since tried okle (for a dvd) and KsCD with an audio cd and both work perfect. I will check around for a different mp3 player and see if it works. But Im getting there :)
Thanks for the help
Eoghan