On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:49:14AM -0500, Brown, Steve wrote:
> By the way, the issue was gone when I installed to one of the IDE drives.
>
> FreeBSD 6 must not like my SATA controller.  At least it tries though.  Red
> Hat 9 and Solaris 10 would not recongnize it at all during installation.

What SATA controller is it?  I know in particular the SiL3112 Silcon
Image chipset is buggy hardware.  If it's only an add-in card, you could
try another one.  I have a cheap Highpoint RocketRAID 1520.  It works
fine as a SATA controller, but the raid on it is fake-raid.  There is
little to no hardware support on it and it would be better to use
FreeBSD's built-in software raid if you need it.

By the way, the SiL3112 had problems on both linux and bsd, but it
worked most of the time.  I think the windows drivers they provide have
a work-around in them for the buggy hardware, but would you really want
buggy hardware?