Yance Kowara wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out if *BSD can achieve this:

I have two DSL connections to play with, and I would
like to configure a *BSD router that can combine the
two DSLs together.

There is a howto at
http://stevenfettig.com/mythoughts/archives/000173.php

But it concerns OpenBSD and it was for a T1 connection
using a dual T1 card. I would like to configure one on
2 DSLs connected to two individual NICs.

Is this feasible at all, or should I just invest in a
dual Wan hardware?

Yes its possible, I have such done such a setup. Its actually one ADSL user PPP connection the other connection is direct Ethernet to a small ISP that happens to be in the same building.

The aim isn't anything that serves data and doesn't use anything complex such as using routing protocols like the other guys are talking about. Its just using NAT via PF to its users behind the box, all they need 24 hour Internet access and don't have to serve anything which I assume is your same situation.

All I have done to make use of the multi Internet connection was if one connection goes down they can just choose the other ISP via a simple menu I created for them which just deletes and changes the route,

Just uses something like
route flush
route add default isp_gateway_ip
Or for the PPP link that uses "ISP1" profile
/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial isp1

and a "/etc/rc.d/pf resync" afterwards.

Its just as easy to hack your own self monitoring link changer script but I felt it was better to leave it in the hands of the people with a menu. The core of the problem is just scripting something to change routes / connection using scripting.

Because you appear to be using to DSL and probably pppoe links you would need to put something like this with two profiles in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file

default:
# set log CBCP CCP Chat Connect Command IPCP tun Phase Warning Debug LCP sync
set device PPPoE:dc0:isp1
set speed sync
disable ipv6cp
set cd 5
set dial
set login
set redial 0 0
add default HISADDR
set timeout 0
enable dns

isp1:
set authname [EMAIL PROTECTED]
set authkey yancepassword

isp2:
set authname [EMAIL PROTECTED]
set authkey yancepassword

and script something to run either "/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial isp1" or "/usr/sbin/ppp -quiet -ddial isp2"

Mike