Adam Nealis wrote:

*snip*

Here's what I did:

1.    Install from CD (6.0-RELEASE)
2.    Got latest kernel src with sysinstall

Hmm. cvsup might be better. Having said that, when I cvsup'd 6.0-RELEASE
after installing from CD, there were only one or two files updated. But
my version went from 6.0-RELEASE to 6.0-RELEASE-p1.

The other thing is you don't appear to have run buildworld. This step
uses the 6.0-RELEASE source in /usr/src to build userland and gcc and
so on. I'm not sure, but I think you have to use the compilation tools
from buildworld to create your new kernel.

I wasn't aware that I needed to do a buildworld too, am limited on the amount of disk space I have, the whole disk is 6Gb with a 1Gb /home and over 3Gb /usr. Is that going to be enough? /tmp and /var are quite small.

Will go through the Makefile and see what happens this time round.

3.    cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
4.    Created my own config file (LAPTOP)
5.    Did a /usr/sbin/config LAPTOP
6.    Moved into compile directory (/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LAPTOP)
7.    Did 'make depend'

Did you do

make cleandepend; make depend ?

Yes, did that too.

8.    make

At this point it failed...

I'd be inclined to start from the beginning, going through the steps
given in usr/src/Makefile

Will do, cheers.

Paul