--- JK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 05:18:59 -0800 (PST)
>   Adam Nealis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > --- "FlashWebHost.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am using FreeBSD 5.2 on my local computer.
> >>
> >> I want to upgrade to FreeBSD 6.0
> >>
> >> Do i need to download both files ?
> >
> > No. CD1 will give you as much as the OS plus X11 plus all sources.
> >Plus
> > the complete ports tree as of 6.0-RELEASE.
> >
> > CD2 contains several hundred binary packages, but are not required
> >for the
> > OS upgrade.
>
> I've always wondered this.  I'm running 5.1.  Can I upgrade to 6.x in
> place, i.e. without having to full install and wipe my filesystem etc?

<disclaimer>
You should never do a major (any?) upgrade without making a backup of
important data, and then verifying the backup works.
</disclaimer>

Yes, you can upgrade in place. Read this.

<http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.0R/installation-i386.html#UPGRADING>

It specifically warns against going from 4-STABLE to 6.0-RELEASE.