First of all, lets get the terminology straightened out.
I think you mean to say that you want to add a partition to
your FreeBSD slice.
Yes.

Second, I presume you are booted to that drive.   The system does
not allow you to modify the label on the boot drive.   If it is the
only FreeBSD bootable drive you have, then you will need to boot
from the 'fixit' CD and run from that to modify the label and add the additional partition.
Well, finally I read the disklabel manual over again (about 3 times) and I COULD add a new
partition on my boot drive!

By the way, this is in either the handbook, FAQs or the archive.
This is typical. You know what, after googling for serveral hours, I found out that it did not let me write on the disk because the kernel had SECURELEVEL=2. This is something that should be in the manual. I appreciate that you wanted to help me, but
actually you pointed me to the wrong direction two times.

I suggest to change the documentation of the disklabel/bsdlabel and fdisk programs.
We should add this warning:

"Warning: you need to disable your kernel securelevel in /etc/rc.conf. The kernel does not
allow to modify disk label information above securelevel=N."

(I'm still not sure about the value of N).

I'm not sure where can I add this request to change the documentation.
But it would save hundreds of hours for newbies and supporters too.

Best,

  Les