The secondary screen functionality on my xterm (rxvt-unicode) was acting strangly. So, following the advice at:

http://cvs.schmorp.de/browse/*checkout*/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.html

I added an rxvt-unicode termcap entry to my termcap file and ran cap_mkdb. After login, I'm able to 'setenv TERM rxvt-unicode' and everything works perfectly.

However, when running urxvt initially, it detects the $TERM as 'rxvt', not 'rxvt-unicode'. How is the $TERM variable determined by the system? Is there a way to detect my new termcap entry? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Evan