Michael P. Soulier wrote:
On 1/5/06, Crispy Beef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Am trying to get my head around the ports system, specifically custom options
when compiling.  For example I would like to install apache 2.2 under it's own
dir in /usr/local, say /usr/local/apache22.  If I was rolling my own version
using the configure script I would do:

./configure prefix="/usr/local/apache22"

I believe the default prefix can be changed, but I'm unclear as to why
you would want to change it. The port installs a package that you can
then remove easily with the pkg tools. Why would you want to do this?

Mainly as having Apache in it's own directory with all of it's files together makes it nice and easy to administer, when I compile stuff from scratch I always like to keep things clean, for example:

/usr/local/php-5.1.1
/usr/local/mysql-5
/usr/local/apache13
/usr/local/apache22

I'm not too bothered having it all put in the default locations specified by the port, my Gentoo system does this in the same way, just wondered if there was a clean way to do it. :-)