lars wrote:

Martin Cracauer wrote:

Sean wrote on Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 04:09:27PM -0500:

Looking for recommendations on any Unix programming books.
I have been out of things for a while so I would put my skill level back to the beginning.

W. Richard Steven's "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment",
along with his "Unix Network Programming" are still classics and from
what I have seen best by far.

Martin

I also recommend "The Art of UNIX Programming" by Eric S. Raymond
for some cultural information on Unix programming.

It's also available whole online for free at his website.

Oddly, I think I wish this were not so ... I would say, everything I've ever gotten that was free, turned out to be worth the price, and I just would not want to devalue that man's tremendous contribution, in any method whatsoever. Even if it means that teeners starting out have to beg a bit.