Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1a    248M    180M     48M    79%    /
/dev/da0s1h     14G    496M     13G     4%    /mnt

/dev/da0s1h has an exact copy of /dev/da0s1a using dump/restore.

I want to configure things so that the next time I reboot it will automatically boot from /dev/da0s1h without me having to do anything (since it's remote I can't interrupt the boot process).

I know I need to modify fstab on da0s1h. And if I was on the console I'd interrupt the boot process and type in 0:da(0,h)/boot/loader, but I'm not.

are you actually interested of running /boot/loader from partition h or mounting root at /dev/da0s1h

Hmm... guess I didn't realize there was a difference :)

I want the OS to "run" from /dev/da0s1h so that I can then completely wipe and replace /dev/da0s1a [1].

if second - add:

vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:da0s1h"

to which file?

Thanks!
-philip

[1] The box is a new 5.3 install. My thought was to boot from da0s1h, buildworld/kernel for 6 with a DESTDIR pointing to the original / (da0s1a). Then reboot and have a clean install of 6.