Andrew P. wrote:
On 1/13/06, offbyone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My problem:
Running FreeBSD_5.4-RELEASE with XFree86-4.5.0, there is a mis-match:
the underlying o.s. and newly installed and upgraded ports expect X.org
After portupgrade of an X-supported port, this mis-match shows up as
"stale dependency(ies)" It's a bore repeatedly to point new and upgraded
 ports to XFree86-libraries-4.5.0, etc. (and there is no XFree86
component that corresponds directly to X.org-TrueType, or is there?)
My questions:
0.) How to change the underlying o.s. default expectation to XFree86 AND
 is this a good idea for the present and future of 5.x?

Look at /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf

1.) Is a better solution to bite the bullet, deinstall all XFree86
components and install X.org, since FreeBDS is 5.x?

Sure. There's no debate about it whatsoever. You are also
avdised to bite another bullet and upgrade to FreeBSD 6,
it's a painless/seamless procedure now.

Andrew P. -
Thanks for the reminder about pkgtools.conf.
But about FreeBSD 6...
I still see a lot of complaints of headaches from people using 6, here and on the -Stable mailing list, so I'm dubious.
- Jake