This is getting quiet frustrating :-)
I don't want to use X, because I like to use my lovely console :)
Plus I'm only on a P233.

I've compiled SC_PIXEL_MODE into my kernel, which means I can use
vidcontrol to set the resolution to 800x600.
Fantastic!

Well, almost. When this happens, my video refresh rate drops to from
70Hz (at the default 640x400) to 60Hz.

I've found a hack to vesa.c that switches the mode to 1024x768, grabs the
refresh rate (100Hz) then switchs to 800x600 and applies it. This is a big
messy, plus my monitor only just supports 100Hz.

Does anyone know how I can set the *refresh rate* of the console, instead
of having to live with the graphics card's default for that resolution?
I'm sure it might be possible, I can't find anything about it though.

Please help !!