Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:

Are you sure that your hard drive is not dying? Run smartctl -a /dev/ad0 and see if any errors were being logged.
(smartctl is part of the smartmontools port)
You should also try another cable.
Thanks for the response. I'm reasonably sure, the disk is brand new, and though it could certainly be bad, I installed Linux on the system this morning without issue. I've tried two different UDMA cables also, just to be sure. Under PIO4 mode in BSD (by setting hw.ata.ata_dma=0), I can install and then write data to my heart's content without any errors.

I'm currently reinstalling again, because I believe a partition has become corrupted after panicking with the disk in UDMA6 mode.