Garrett Cooper wrote:
Hello,
It appears that after my rearranging my case a bit that my hard drives are spinning up and down quite a bit (in particular one drive). After checking the temperature of the drives with my hand, it appears that everything is running quite smoothly, so there must be something else software-wise that's causing my system to near constantly poll the drives. For the sake of power and for the sake of my hard drives I have enabled apmd, which should be handling power management, but in fact isn't really doing the right thing I think. My computer is a desktop, so I realize that apm is used primarily for laptops. Is there any distinguishing point in FreeBSD that doesn't allow for this, or like Linux, by enabling apmd does it allow me to automatically suspend hard disks and how? I just want to save my hardware from undue abuse, either way and save some electricity while I'm at it :).
   Thanks,
-Garrett
Nevermind. It turns out the scsi harddisk may be failing. So sad ;(...
-Garrett