I wanted to do a quick test of Apache21, MySQL5 and PHP5
I tried a minimal install of FreeBSD 6.0 then pkg_add -r which
worked fine up until PHP5 where I was told that Apache21
conflicted with Apache13 that was to be installed as aPHP5
dependancy. I pkg_delete and went ahead with installing
PHP5 then Apache13 but when I tried to pkg_delete Apache13
so I could install Apache21 was told that I coudl not remove it ?

If you're talking about /usr/ports/lang/php5, then it's Makefile has this:

.if defined(WITH_APACHE)
.if ${APACHE_VERSION} > 13
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--with-apxs2=${APXS}
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--with-apxs=${APXS}
.endif
.endif

I haven't done it, but I'm guessing if you install apache21 first, then set APACHE_VERSION = 21 in your environment, then make, it would do what you wanted.

-philip