On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:53:58PM -0600, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:02:43PM -0600, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
Hi -

I've got a new 6.0 box and have setup some jails.  I'd like to share
/usr/ports from the host, to each of the jails.

I tried mount_unionfs and while it worked, the box would crash if I did
anything intensive (ie. compile a port).

Googling around and people say they are using nullfs okay, but the manpage
ends with:

        THIS FILE SYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T
        WORK)
        AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR
        OWN
        RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

nullfs is fine in 6.0, and the warning has been removed.

Good to know it's cool.  I'll start playing with it.  The warning is still
there though... in both 6-stable and 7-current.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_nullfs&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.0-stable&format=html
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_nullfs&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+7.0-current&format=html

Those manpages are out of date.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sbin/mount_nullfs/mount_nullfs.8

Sweet!

        MFC: Remove big scary warning about nullfs state

:-)

I've set it up already and it works great.

-philip