FreeBSD Prospect wrote:
Hi,

Reading a lot about FreeBSD recently made me really curious. I know, that the founder of Gentoo (the well known GNU/Linux meta-distribution, which is also based on compiling everything from source) was using FreeBSD for some time, before continuing creating Gentoo, what's why portage (the Gentoo software management system) is generally based on FreeBSD's ports.

[.. comparison of ports/portage features ..]

I've been running Gentoo on my desktop computer for a few months and FreeBSD on my laptop / server machines. What I am especially fond of in portage is the USE-flags and the way you can specify then globally and individually for each package and how you can get a nice, short overview of which USE-flags a package uses and which of them are enabled with "emerge -pv port". And also how you can find their descriptions without having to dig through Makefiles (although that's becoming less intimidating for me now that I have been using FreeBSD for half a year or so).

FreeBSD-ports' config mechanism isn't too bad but not all ports seem to support these. I also remember an instance where I did a config-recursive before installing Gnome and I was still presented with one or two config menus.