From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Steve Douville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject: RE: Connecting to serial port
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 00:51:12 -0800

That happens, you can try a BIOS update, and also make sure
your motherboard CMOS settings specify the port for serial0,
and match port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4, and aren't set to auto.  You
can also try changing the setting for plug-and-play OS to off,
(or on, if it was off before)

You can ignore the message:

"configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0"

as long as your serial port actually responds.  A lot of motherboards
will emit this message but the serial port still works.  Unfortunately
it looks like yours isn't one of these due to the "not responding" error
message.

Worst case, disble the motherboard serial ports and buy a pci serial
port card.

This seems to happen a lot on systems that use pci-express, probably
because they are tying the serial port hardware to the pci bus
rather than the isa bus.

Ted

Hi: I'm having this same problem with a new Abit AN8 MB, which has the pciexpress.

I've tried changing the BIOS settings like suggested, PLUS, even trying a PCI card, but still the same no response.

Does anyone have this MB and cured this problem? If so, please let me know as I really need that lost serial port for the UPS (no, USB won't drive it).

Thanks.
Best regards,
Jack