Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

On 2006-02-17 11:59, David Banning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just put

209.161.205.12        banning.ca

in my /etc/hosts and it solved the problem.

Can I have multiple lines, each line with the same IP number in
/etc/hosts, with different virtual hosts on the right?

I think it's ok to have multiple lines, but I'm not sure.
I think it works, but I don't think it's what the man page says and personally I wouldn't rely on it. I don't know if there is any line length limit, which matters if you have 50 or 60 host names on the line. Again the man page doesn't *say* there is a limit, but without checking source code I wouldn't bet on anything. My longest line is 247 chars without issues I have seen.

From man 5 hosts

For each host a single line should be present with the following informa-
     tion:

           Internet address
           official host name
           aliases

It's not clear to me what that means. If it means "for each official host name", then IP lines should be duplicatable. If it means "For each IP address" then multiple lines should not be used.

FWIW, a Linux distro says:

This file
is a simple text file that associates IP addresses with hostnames, one
       line per IP address

but actually seems to work fine with multiple lines with the same IP address. Go figure.

If that solves your immediate problem, then that's ok :)
I didn't follow the thread that closely, but I understood that the wrong IP (127.0.0.1) was apparently being returned for a host name that should have had proper IP. Personally, I would want to find and fix that problem rather than hacking round it, otherwise it may come and bite you in the bum at some later date. Just my $0.02.

--Alex

PS At one point I thought you tried and failed to find a man page for nsswitch.conf. You might want to try again and check your typing as I can find one just fine of FreeBSD 5.4. host.conf probably doesn't have one any more because it is superceded by nsswitch.conf.