Look at PF if your running FreeBSD 5/6. - You can do this easily and it's well documented. IMO it's alot more functional and usable over ipfw and definetly better documentation.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html - *most* of the features in the OpenBSD faq cover the freebsd port.

Greg Barniskis wrote:

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

I've never done it but I think you can run multiple nat instances
and multiple divert sockets, you will have to specify them in the
config file to natd, though.

Excellent. That's what I was hoping for. So instead of one "divert natd" rule in ipfw, I simply need "divert N", "divert N+1", "divert N+2", etc. where N is a port number where I bound my first natd, N+1 the next natd instance, etc. I think I can manage that.

If it were me, though, I would try to
setup multiple FreeBSD boxes, not only does that give you some
redundancy, but it makes troubleshooting a lot easier.

Thanks, but we're talking about a need for somewhere between 54 and 216 distinct NAT<->subnet instances, maybe more. I really need a solution for one host, two NICs, that compares favorably to providing this functionality with a PIX.

Ted