At 10:32 2006-02-21, Peter wrote:

--- Ian Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 09:09 2006-02-21, manish jain wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >   I just purchased an APC 500 Back UPS (the
> > basic model, not the pro/smart one). It does
> > not have any serial/usb interface. Can I get
> > apcupsd or any other daemon to work with it so
> > that the system automatically shuts down before backup supply runs out
> ?
> >
> >   If someone can attach a sample configuration file, I shall be
> grateful.
> >
> >   Thanks
> >   Manish Jain
>
> How do you think freebsd will know the ups is
> about to stop providing energy if the ups has no serial or usb port ?
>
> :)

Maybe he can try using the ESP protocol?

Not too sure what you are talking about, the only esp protocol I know is for encryption during a vpn connection... But basically, this ups is so "dumb" the only connection between the pc and the ups is through the power cable... Unless you find a way to communicate through that, there is no way you can know there is a power outage (lol unless there is a speaker and you use a microphone to listen for the alarm :)