I just wanted to get pros and cons for tracking the whole port tree on a production server.

Any opinions?

Derek Ragona wrote:
Chris,

I will use a CVS tag to update a release for any officially reported security issues. You can look up the right tags here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

However, with production boxes, I have either non-production boxes I update first to test the release, or secondary production boxes I update first.

I only update these systems if the security issue will effect the use. For instance, if it is an issue with ipfw, but I am not using that on a box, I don't bother to update it.

Hope this helps,

        -Derek

Are you using these tags for the ports or the base system + userland? I love the way that I can track the security/bug fixes by tracking a branch of the code for the src directory. It would be nice if ports forked too.