Hi,
I'm using win2k an freebsd 6.0 on my laptop too, and I've been reinstalling freebsd pretty often (I'm still tring my way to have it working, so I started with 5.4 and than moved to 4.11 and 6.0) without ever changing my win partition. As you say, I'm always prompted about incorrect geometry, I hit ok and go on, than fdisk show me something like the one you got, with ad0s1 as my win (NTFS) partition and ad0s2 as my freebsd partition. All I do at this rate is to set my ad0s1 to be my active partition (I boot both from the win 2000 booter) than I go ahead leaving the MBR as is and install freebsd in freebsd partition. Unfortunately I've never been able to keep the /usr label as is (I always delete them all and start from a auto layout), and I can't help you if you're willing to keep their data safe.
I got this article as model when I first did it:
http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2004/10/dual-boot-freebsd-5.html
My windows partition was out of order only once, when I forgot to set it bootable, but this is because I actually boot both OS from it: I went back to fdisk, fixed it and got my windows working with no problem. I can't tell you to go ahed with no backup... but I can say your win partition is pretty safe with freebsd fdisk.
Regards
Lila

John Murphy ha scritto:

If I just immediately 'Q'uit the darned thing will it not make any
changes to global drive geometry? It would probably take me several
days to get my win2k installation back to how it is now, if I lost it.

All I really want is for the installer to use the freebsd slice as is.

I'm tempted to just try UPGRADING but mergemaster always confuses me.