Chris Hill wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Yance Kowara wrote:

In Linux, shutdown -h now will power off the machine.

*That* makes no sense to me, and I would find it to be unexpected behavior... but I guess it's a matter of what you're used to.

Where FreeBSD aims for a Principle of Least Astonishment (POLA) my experience of Linux is that they have no such principle, and in some cases (when I'm having a bad day :-)) even a Principle of Greatest Astonishment.

Shutdown -h has halted machines since forever (or course, in them days you *couldn't* power the machine off).

Enough rambling,

--Alex