Hi all,

Re: my Dell PE 1850 crashes (freezes).

After scouring the Buglists, I have found a few others who have servers that were exhibiting exactly the same issues as mine. Random crashes on reliable hardware, with not OS (FreeBSD 6.0) logs showing any issues.

In FreeBSD 6.0 RELEASE, there seemed to be a QUOTA application bug. The three people I talked to have eliminated the freezing problem by disabling user and group disk QUOTA support. I have now disabled QUOTA on my system, and will report back in 10 days. (5 is the magic number, 10 would be reasonale to conclude success).

I have been advised to upgrade to 6.1.

I have never been very successful with upgrading a live system, so generally I backup data and completely reinstall.

I am hoping someone here will tell me upgrading from 6.0 to 6.1 would be a trivial task, posing minimal danger, and perhaps point me to a decent tutorial or how to ...

thanks all,

-Grant

QUOTA Freeze lockup lock up version 6 6.0 non responsive not responding unreachable.