On Mar 24, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Paul Schmehl wrote:
Neither rc.conf nor source_rc_confs appears anywhere else in the script, so how does this suck in the variables? And what does the syntax ". /etc/rc.conf" do?

Your second question is the answer to your first question:

   . /etc/rc.conf

...or "source _file_", means to read the file into the current shell and execute those commands. It's used to load the variables set in / etc/rc.conf.

Here's what I understand so far. If the variable source_rc_confs_defined is a zero length string, then if /etc/ defaults/rc.conf is readable, then do something with it. I have no idea what the next line "source_rc_confs" does. Else, if /etc/ rc.conf is readable, then do something with that.

Yes. Take a look at the end of /etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/ rc.subr...

--
-Chuck