Richard P. Koett wrote:

1) Are these SiI3112 controllers any good? I have the option of using a
HighPoint HPT372 instead but was planning to use that elsewhere.
A simple google for "sil3112 freebsd" will return you plenty of responses which will provide an answer to your question - which is, no they are not any good. I'll leave you with google to fill in the details.

Based on nothing more than reading mailing lists, highpoint controllers have a much better reputation. No doubt google could be your friend on that issue as well.

Sorry for the bad news,

--Alex