On 10/04/2006, at 12:39 AM, Jan Grant wrote:

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

I'm trying to follow the instructions at
<http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-upgrade-5.4-to-6.0/>

At point four it offers this shell script.

cut -f 1 -d '$' /usr/local/freebsd-update/work/md5all | uniq |
        while read X; do
                if [ -f $X ]; then echo $X; fi;
        done | sort > /root/base-old

Running this from root shell in konsole (bash) I get "while: Expression Syntax". The various hints and clues I get from the shell, the web and man bash haven't helped me. Would someone provide the correct syntax for me?

That syntax is correct for sh and bash; you're not running it, however.
Double-check that after you su to root, you're really running bash. That
error is what csh will tell you.

You are right. My user konsole is bash and I presumed that root console was too but asking $0 returned su, so I was guessing.

Thanks for the help

malcolm