Jonathan Horne wrote:

well if its an official change in procedure, i have no problem with
adapting.  the reason it raised my eyebrow today, aside from happening on
2 boxes at the same time, same daemons, but vsftpd did the same thing last
weekend when i compiled the port after latest cvsup.  vsftpd needed to
vsftpd.sh for it to start at boot (with vsftpd_enable="YES" in
/etc/rc.conf).  while i did not reboot my test boxes to see whether or not
dovecot and saslauthd did or did not start at boot without the .sh on
their scripts, it still wondered what was going on.

i have several more additional daemons to compile in today, it will be
interesting to see their installation behavior as well.
My understanding is that the changes were going to be done in a backwards-compatible way so if something didn't work "out-of-the-box" for you then there may be something wrong somewhere. I don't know enough to say what, if anything, is wrong with those ports.

What I thought was that *you* wouldn't have to adapt at all, unless you write or maintain a port, but that port maintainers would have to change over to the new style. I thought it was also going to stay compatible with the old style, since 5.X won't, as I understand it, get the changes. But ports still have to work on 5.X, one would hope!

--Alex