I have FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE and optical Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer, USB native, plugged to PS/2 port via it's own USB->PS/2 adaptor. When I scroll my mouse wheel up in X11 it acts like "scroll up + left button one/double-click". For example, in Opera, Firefox. In MS Windows mouse works correctly.

I am running the same mouse in the same way on the same release.

I have changed settings as Pete advised. Both variants (old and new) are working (scrolling) but described effect remains. Why I think that scrolling up works as "scroll + left click": for example, in Opera scrolling up at the top of document (when real scroll is impossible) result in marking the word under cursor and appearing context menu for very short time.

I've been having the same problem since updating to Xorg 6.9.0 two months ago. Before that, this problem did not exist for me. Here are a couple examples of what I see with use:

I know it's only a workaround and not a solution, but at least until you're able to get the rodent behaving the way you like, you can change the setting in Thunderbird preferences.

In v1.5:
Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced
[Check box]  Wait XX seconds before marking a message as read
(2nd item down)

Effect disappears when mouse is plugged to USB port directly, without adapter. Besides that with ums(4) buttons 6 and 7 works although it has the same affect as button 1.
But there is no ability to power off USB port at the moment it seems
(http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2005-December/001756.html). PS/2 advantage: 'killall moused' results in turning mouse off, for USB it doesn't.