On 27/04/2006, at 7:33 AM, P.U.Kruppa wrote:

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:

I've set up a printer.
location: lpt0
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs
device URI: parallel:/dev/lpt0
Printing the test page does not work, the job is aborted with error: client-error-not-possible
The most probable reason for this is that some user permissions are set incorrectly. We have to analyze this step by step.
1) Try to print directly from the command line:
     # printf "Hello World \f" > /dev/lpt0
   If your printer is connected correctly to your parallel port,
   *something* should be printed out.

as user I get "cannot create /dev/lpt0: Permission denied"
That is o.k.. You should try to setup your printer as root first anyway: you always can solve problems with lower user permissions later on.

as root I get a blank page
So at least your printer can print the form feed character "\f"
                               :-)

As Robert Huff suggested in his mail one reason might be wrong permissions of your spooler directory.
2) If you haven't set it otherwise it should be found at
     /var/spool/cups
3)   # cd /var/spool/
     # ls -l
   should show this
     drwx--x---  3 root   daemon  1536 26 Apr 19:44 cups
4) Inside /var/spool/cups you should find some files with
   names like
     c00001
     c00002
     c00003
   and so on, each representing one print job.

Yes, I have that. Changing permissions on /var/spool/cups/ to 777 hasn't changed things. Each time I try to print a test page from the cups "Printers" page the job is aborted.

mystified.