Ben Paley wrote:

so I'm provisionally eliminating memory failure as the cause of my file corruption.

Any idea where I go from here? That file really does change. Could it be a hard disk problem on the exact spot where this file is? is fsck my friend in this instance? I'll go and rtfm right now...
fsck is not the answer. It just checks your filesystem for consistency not your hard disk for errors.

Try sysutils/smartmontools or a disk checker from the disk manufacturer. Most provide one.

--Alex