All parts of FreeBSD are constantly being worked on.  It is more correct
to think of FreeBSD as a continuum, with the releases merely as defined
points on the continuum.

A number of people, in fact, run FreeBSD in such a way that every
night a process on their system goes to the master CVS repository,
and fetches any changes and updates that have been made, then applies
them to their system.

Ted