For testing purposes, I have used the gif interface several times. I know man(8) gif states it is a tunnelling interface, but from stations on the network, the interface can be seen all the same. (I normally use the gif interface for simulating several interfaces for IPFW configuration).
Don't know if it will help, but I thought I'd try anyway.

Steve

Jeff Penn wrote:

Does freebsd support virtual interfaces? (i.e. a network interface not associated with a hardware interface).

My system is running 4.7 release with only a dialup ppp POTS connection, which is a bit limiting if you want to learn about networking. Ideally
I would like to set up a private network address on a virtual interface.

The html documentation supplied with apache2 appears to require the server to be running for browsing (many of the links appear broken).

If this support is provided by netgraph I would appreciate some pointers
on setting this up.

thanks
Jeff