Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
On 2006-05-12 11:27, Chuck Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It is, and I wish to acknowledge the above are entirely valid solutions
to the problem, but...

  python -c 'import sys; print sys.stdin.read().strip()' < file...

...has the advantage of being human readable.  My old 300-baud accoustic
modem used to generate output which in hindsight looks astonishingly
close to regex character classes.  :-)

HEH!  I see the joke about Perl being similar to "line noise" is not
something local to our Greek IRC channels :)

Indeed. :) I must confess that it doesn't do in-place replacement of the files, though. I'd have to do a two-liner, I guess:

 python -c 'import sys,fileinput
for line in fileinput.input(inplace=1): print line.strip()' file1 file2 ...

--
-Chuck