Andrea Venturoli wrote:
Just to clarify: running "fsck /" (read-only) in multiuser mode takes less than a minute. fsck at boot takes approx. 50 times that long!

...and yes, that difference is not reasonable. Are you using bgfsck or not...?

Hm, what do you mean?
I'd gladly let my system fsck in background after boot, but it won't do that on a root partition, as mentioned somewhere else on this thread. However, apart from that, I've set everything up according to this wish of mine (i.e. I enabled softupdates and I did not put background_fsck="NO" in my /etc/rc.conf).
Try turning off background fsck and see whether it does better, the next time the system comes back up after an unclean shutdown. I think bgfsck has some kind of built-in throttling to avoid doing too much I/O, which may not be working quite right in this case, causing it to simply hang out mostly idle rather than finishing the filesystem check.

If you have to wait 5-minutes up front rather than sitting with the thing crawling for an hour, maybe that's a better tradeoff...? Either way, it would be interesting to know whether automatic fsck'ing in the foreground procedes at a reasonable speed or not.

--
-Chuck