Mark Linimon wrote:
On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 02:04:55PM +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
I believe that one solution to the scalability problem of creating and maintaining updated packages, would be to decentralize it more. Each time I submit an update for one of the ports I maintain, I've already build the relevant packages, as a QA measure. There should be no need to wait for the ports cluster to build the official version, instead of using my own, modulo perhaps the higher quality assurance you'd get from Kris's build infrastructure.

You have built the package for one build environment (buildenv).  There
are 12.  See http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsoverall.py.

Quite right. But I think that would still be helpful to the majority of users (of packages). If a maintainer can't build a package for a particular build environment due to lack of resources, we can always use the regular cluster builds for these architectures. We just gained a more timely release of the most wanted package(s), no?

Frankly, the availability of up-to-date packages is the only issue from this thread I really care about. I've been contemplating about graphical package installers for FreeBSD for some time and most ideas fall short since there would not be much point in using a package installer without... er... packages :-)

Regards,

Panagiotis