On 5/29/06, Norberto Meijome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Mon, 29 May 2006 14:43:46 +0300
"Iantcho Vassilev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> DO someone know if and how GELI is resilience to power outages?
>
> Does the box is still encrypted? After reboot what would happen to fcsk?

Hi Iantcho ,
I dont know for a fact the effect with a power outage, but I use it quite
a lot
on laptops (which a) freeze sometimes out of nowhere , and b) sometimes
dont
resume properly,).  In both situations,  I've usually had geli mounted
disks (1
x 6 GB, 1 x 500 MB) running when the events happened. ( as well as a 4 GB
swap
which is also GELI backed)

They (touch wood) haven't suffered data loss. /usr and /var seem be more
affected by this ungraceful shutdowns than the .eli devices.

I suppose it's all cool thanks to soft-updates, and the fact that GELI
encrypts
on a per block basis (yeah, no more pgp-busted disks like in Windows :) ).

good luck,
Beto

Thanks for the input,Beto..

As i didn`t read the GELI "workbook" can you tell be can i convert existing
partition in GELI or i should repartition?