On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Mayo, Richard A RDECOM CERDEC STCD SRI wrote:

> I'm setting up a FreeBSD box for the first time, so naturally I have a
> bunch of questions.  I'm sure these are addressed on the web somewhere,
> but I'm not having any luck finding anything so here goes:
>
> What file controls the way Xwindows sets up after I log on?  I got the
> graphical login screen, but now I want to start Xwindows with kde rather
> than twm.

Hi Rich,

Welcome to FreeBSD! The FreeBSD handbook:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Is a fantastic source of information on how to use FreeBSD. In particular,
there is a section which covers xdm (the graphical login screen):

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

And another section on "Desktop Environments" (basically Gnome and KDE):

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html

In the KDE section, there are instructions for installing KDE, and for
enabling it so that KDE starts when you login.

Hope this helps,
        -Andy Reitz.