I'm a newbie running 6.1 stable and I have what may be several simple questions: What exactly is happening when I run "make index && make readmes" after I upgrade my ports tree? Why aren't the indexes and readmes made when we run cvsup ports

You don't need to run make index... just cd into /usr/ports and type

Better yet, don't screw with cvsup. "Portsnap" is standard equipment in 6.x. It's much faster, uses less bandwidth, and is even less load on the update server. And it does the indexes automatically. Just "man portsnap" or search the archives.

  -Wayne