Joe Auty wrote:

On Jun 14, 2006, at 6:01 AM, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:

Joe Auty wrote:

Sorry for the delay in response here. This is still a problem for me, and I would still like this problem resolved.

Yes, I've tried reinstalling both Python and Mailman, and upgraded to newer port revisions of Mailman which have been released since this message. I'm still getting the same error message when I go to start Mailman via its rc script:

... snip
Traceback (most recent call last):
:
: No module named getopt File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 76, in ?

    ImportErrorimport getopt
No module named getopt:
No module named getopt
ImportErrorCould not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
: No module named getopt
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner", line 76, in ?
    import getopt
ImportError: No module named getopt

Honestly, this looks like a screwed python install or some screw up when mailman compiled. Can you do a few basic info things?

Sure, happy to do so!

I've truncated the tests since nothing there showed any problem whatsoever. I'm running out of ideas, so this one may be off the wall:
($ to indicate command lines but don;t type the $ :-))

$ egrep prefix /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner

I've found a mailman installation I can compare this next one against.

$ egrep prefix /usr/local/mailman/bin/paths.py

If this doesn't look like below, then we have found the problem, if not the cause. If anything contains the <> you have the problem and can ignore the next item. (Yours should have /usr/local for /var but it's a cruddy Linux machine which happens to have mailman).

# importing this module, sys.path gets `hacked' so that the $prefix/Mailman
prefix = '/var/mailman'
exec_prefix = '${prefix}'
if exec_prefix == '${prefix}':
   exec_prefix = prefix
# Hack the path to include the parent directory of the $prefix/Mailman package
sys.path.insert(0, prefix)
sys.path.insert(0, os.path.join(prefix, 'pythonlib'))
sitedir = os.path.join(sys.prefix, 'lib', 'python'+sys.version[:3],

And one which may spew quite a lot.  Cut it off if it gets to printing help.

$ python -v /usr/local/mailman/bin/qrunner

--Alex