On 6/15/2006 3:02 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

>> On 6/15/2006 2:42 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>  >> Contents of cvsupfile:
>>  >>
>>  >> *default host=cvsup6.FreeBSD.org
>>  >> *default base=/var/db
>>  >> *default prefix=/usr
>>  >> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_0
>>  >> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>>  >>
>>  >> src-all
>>  >> *default tag=.
>>  >
>> > Note that you set the tag=RELENG_6_0 ... which is what you want, then you
>>  > reset it tag=. -- which will give you 6-STABLE -- not what you want.
>>  >
>>  > Remove the *default tag=. line.
>>
>> Out of curiosity, can you revert back to RELENG_6_0 from 6_STABLE?
>> Obviously I already ran this process...
>
> I have successfully done this with other versions of FreeBSD, whether or
> not it works is dependent on exactly what version you're trying to back
> out of, and I can't say for sure about 6-STABLE to 6.0.
>
>>  > What does uname -a tell you after the upgrade?
>>
>> mail# uname -a
>> FreeBSD mail.domain.com 6.0-RELEASE-p6 FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE-p6 #1: Tue
>> Mar 28 13:46:24 CST 2006
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> Are you sure you completed the process successfully?  If you'd had
> tag=., this would reports something like 6-STABLE.  If you'd had
> 6_0_RELENG, it would report 6.0-RELEASE-p9.
>
> It looks as if the make install* steps weren't completed.

(reiterating my original email for clarification)

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
# reboot

After rebooting into single user mode:

# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a
# adjkerntz -i
# cd /usr/src (I forgot to list this last time around)
# mergemaster -p
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# reboot

No errors reported during any of these steps, and each step appears to complete like it's doing exactly what it's supposed to.

Can you see any steps I missed or overlooked? Any advice on how to determine where something might have gone wrong? All of a sudden I'm having this feeling that something might be broken somewhere...

Many thanks,

Greg Groth