On Jun 18, 2006, at 10:44 PM, Ensel Sharon wrote:
Let's say I have 8 disks.

Let's say I require raid6.

You require RAID-6 because...? If you want more fault tolerance or better performance, RAID-10 makes a lot more sense to me than RAID-6, but YMMV.

If I make one array, I lose 25% to raid overhead.

If I make two arrays, I lose 50% to raid overhead.

Using RAID-6 with 4 disks does not make much sense, no.

(Using RAID-10 with 4 disks works great, however. Yes, the overhead is greater, but the write performance is much better, and it would seem like RAID-10 would result in you having a configuration that fits into 2TB LUN limitation....)

--
-Chuck