On 6/20/06, Danial Thom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

User manuals and how-tos don't generally get
copyright notices, because there is nothing
creative about it. Someone could write exactly
the same thing (just about), and you'd have
little claim to it because its just a procedural
description. What, is the formatting of your
index unique or something?

Not at all.  The entire procedure is unique.  That's why
it's helpful to others, hopefully.

Check out the FreeBSD handbook.  It's full of copyright notices.
I don't think someone's going to come out with a FreeBSD handbook
without images and claim that they wrote it, and then get away with it.
And even then, the copyright notice is just a formality.

But that aside, I was more amused by the subject
"serious breach of copyright", as if someone had
taken your claim for writing War and Peace or
something. They didn't even explicitly put a
byline on it. Its just a how-to on a web page.

And where are the credits for all of the how-tos
you read to gain this knowledge? Why doesn't
their work count? You should have a full
bibliography. After all, credit is important!

Like I said, who cares.

DT