Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm sure there are solutions to make things work, but personnaly, I
>> don't feel confortable with a RAID system that acts that way, and
>> that is supposed to make the whole system more robust and
>> problem-free.
>
> Your missing the point.
>
> If a disk crashes it wipes the metafile off the disk.
>
> If you want to simulate a disk crash, issue a raid detach command
> first, then pull the disk.
>
> The ata raid in the ata driver isn't written to handle the
> condition of
> a disk being pulled that has nothing wrong with it then reinserted.
> It is written to handle the condition of a disk crashing, then being
> pulled, then a new one replaced.
>
>> I used to play with hardware SCSI RAID controllers, and was never
>> able to trash the system.
>
> I have SCSI raid controllers too that I can do that with.  But keep in
> mind that these controllers firmware is written to if a disk
> is pulled then
> replaced, it immediately assumes that the disk is toast, and
> rebuilds it
> from scratch.

Hi,

I'm not an expert in RAID Ted, and I don't want to be. Simply, in situations
where a disk crashes, and the server is not redundant anymore, I prefer having
a controller that I can rely on, both eyes closed. I have just installed the
3WARE controller this morning, and did the exact same operations I did with the
ICH5/7R and onboard Promise controller of my ASUS boards. It's simply not
comparable at all, and for a really affordable price. The server did not crash,
and is by the way rebuilding the RAID at the moment... Despite all my efforts,
I was not able to trash it.

A 3WARE controller is really worth the investment, really.

Cheers,

Philippe Lang
Attik System