Gary Kline wrote:
On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 11:18:35PM -0500, Nikolas Britton wrote:
On 6/22/06, Chris Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Gary Kline wrote:

... Does xmms play streams?
I'm not sure about xmms and streams, never having tried it. So I've just
been playing with this, and it seems to work like Nikolas' description
of cplay: download the playlist manually, then you can load it from
within xmms. I'm listening to radioparadise.com as I type this (thanks
for the link, Nikolas!)

Your welcome, here's more:

http://www.somafm.com/ (multiple genres)
http://www.bassdrive.com/ (Drum & Bass / Junge)  /* Tops, IMO, gk */
http://www.friskyradio.com/ (EDM etc.)
http://www.di.fm/ (multiple genres, mostly electronic)
http://www.xtcradio.com/ (DJ Mix Sets)
http://www.staticbeats.com/ (IDM)
http://www.m1live.com/ (Club/Dance)

Also, Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music (Flash Player Required):
http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

Does anyone know of streams that sound like XRT or Q101?... two radio
stations in Chicago

        *This* is exactly what  I was going to ask about next:
        if we could all post streaming sites.  Oe of my favorites is
        http://www.sky/fm/[many substream URL's].

Thanks for thhe Guide, Nikolas!
        Another thing I've been wondering about is xmms-faad2
        which is mp4 or a High Effiency decoder of "aac"(?)
        streams that only require 24kpbs to yeild fairly high
        fidelity sound.  Does anybody know anything about how
        xmms-faad2 works with good ol' xmms??  (I'm completely
        new to most of this--streaming sites.  But then just got
        new speakers w/bass boombox!)  So any tips will be very
        welcome.

        gary
The faad2 item should just be a plugin for xmms. It's kind of convoluted how they compile stuff with the faad2 lib, but basically-in Linux at least-it downloads the complete faad2 source, compiles it first, then compiles the plugin from a different branch from the main source in the source tree. I was doing a bit of reading too (trying to see if I can just change the source a bit to get ID3/iTunes tags to be read in xmms), and it turns out that iTunes uses MP4 format with AAC encoding, as opposed to AAC which uses MP2 encoding as a base. Doesn't really matter all that much I suppose, but I was just looking through the source trying to figure stuff out and the original author's nomenclature is just a bit confusing.
-Garrett