Christopher Hobbs wrote:

I'm a first time poster, so forgive me if this is the wrong list or if I break
etiquette.

Seems proper enough to me, here.

Fetch frequently fails for me when installing ports via "pkg_add" or directly
from the ports tree.  Regardless of the port I'm trying to add, it almost always
returns the following...

=> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/xpdf-3.01pl1.patch:
Syntax error in parameters or arguments
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
*** Error code 1
I think the key error in all of this is the part that says "Syntax error in
parameters or arguments".  This only seems to happen with FTP sites as opposed
to HTTP sites.

Understandable, as this message is either an SMTP or FTP error code,
but not an HTTP one.  (We'll guess FTP in this case, methinks...) ;)

I can retrieve said files with wget without a hitch, so I'm at a
loss as to what's going on.  I've frobbed nearly every knob that fetch has to no
avail.

Hmm, that's kind of interesting.

I'm running 6.1:  FreeBSD SS002.admin.siloamsprings.com 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD
6.1-RELEASE #0: Sun May 7 04:42:56 UTC 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP i386

It's a fresh install, I'll probably update soon.  I had the same problem in 5.4.
Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide!

Are you behind an FTP proxy? (Seems strange to get that message, but
it's worth asking about.)  What about a firewall (on 2d though, forget
that, you couldn't get the message from the server otherwise.

What do these commands yield?

        locale
        alias | grep -i fet
        alias | grep -i get
        env | grep -i fet
        env | grep -i get
        file `which fetch`
        grep fetch /etc/make.conf

Are you able to use the ftp client manually and d-load the files?

In a pinch, there are also some workarounds. You could try "alias fetch wget -c", which might work. Setting 'FETCH_CMD=/usr/local/bin/wget -c'
in /etc/make.conf should definitely work around this issue.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Kevin Kinsey

--
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance from Sam.